Friday, July 24, 2009

Friday Night Idiots

I absolutely love closing on Friday nights. I'm so excited to see how many people will show up after 5 pm with prescription bottles that have no refills. I enjoy watching the acting, but especially love it when they forget the lines. It should go something like this: "I need this prescription refilled. It is my blood pressure/diabetes/seizure medicine that I need. I will die without this medicine. Oh, no refills? Huh, I didn't see that. Could you call my doctor to get a refill? Wait, it's after 5...they are probably closed. Can you give me 3 pills until Monday? I really need this medicine. You don't want me to have a stroke/seizure, do you? What? That bottle is from 2005? I must've picked up the wrong one. Oh, I'm not in your computer system? But I gets my medicine filled here every month. I don't understand." At the register: "What!!!!! Why is it that much for just 3 pills? Can't you just take it out of the whole prescription Monday? I don't understand. This is my blood pressure/diabetes/seizure medicine! Hell no I'm not going to the after hours clinic to get the whole prescription. I guess I'll just die then."

Yes, I do realize that this does sometimes happen to even the best patients, but there are repeat offenders. Tonight was no exception. It is never their fault. They have no responsibilty for their own medicine or healthcare needs, it is YOUR fault as the pharmacist. I really can't stand these people or their pitiful acting. I do care and try to assist as much as possible, but within reason. I do not own the pharmacy and cannot just give out medicine. But here's the question that still can't be answered: How can they remember to go to the welfare office to stand in line, but can't "remember" to request a refill during normal business hours??? Gimme a break....

1 comment:

  1. One time, a long time ago, I think either the board of pharmacy or corporate security used that line on me to front them a few tablets. I declined and the person left. About 10 minutes later, that same person came back to inform me that it was a good thing that I didn't give her any tablets (with an ominous look/tone).

    Never found out who she was but it sure sounded like a set-up to get me in trouble.

    I'll go out of my way to do the best I can to help someone in that situation, but if it requires stepping over any lines, they get referred to an urgent care center.

    ReplyDelete