Thursday, July 23, 2009

Reaching a Milestone

So today was my day off before the weekend. I slept most of the day. It was nice to give my joints a much needed break. I've recently experienced what I like to think of as a milestone in my pharmacy career: irreversible swelling. My feet and ankles swell up every day and never seem to recover. It is a sign of my experience, as all the older pharmacists that I know all seem to have a limp.

Yesterday I had a discussion with a customer on the phone that I think is worth sharing.
Disgruntled Druggist: "This is the pharmacist speaking, how may I help you?"
Clueless Customer: "I had my scriptions filled dere today and you didn't put the directions on dem. How am I posed to know how to take dis?"
Disgruntled Druggist: "Ma'am the directions say take one capsule by mouth twice daily for 7 days"
Clueless Customer: "Yeah so when I'm posed to take em?"
Disgruntled Druggist: "Well twice daily generally means every 12 hours."
Clueless Customer: "Ok, well yall messed up my other one too. It says take one tablet three times a day until gone."
Disgruntled Druggist: "Three times a day is every 8 hours."
Clueless Customer: "Ok den" -click-

That was a new one for me. Just when I thought it couldn't get any dumber, the public still surprised me. I guess that now we will have to start putting the exact hour/min/sec on the label pretty soon. This reminds me of a call one of my other pharmacists got on a Sunday morning after the time had changed due to daylight savings time. The customer wanted to know when to take her medicine now that the time was different. She wasn't quite sure. And these people are allowed to be parents???

1 comment: